The Art of Miming

The Art of Miming

Four years ago, when I started Tufts undergrad, I knew that my main goal was to get into veterinary school. Although I was well focused on this goal, I was also eager to try things that interested me outside of veterinary medicine. Miming, of all things, was something that caught my imagination and ultimately helped me with my admission to Cummings School. It’s funny how things work out sometimes.

I first encountered the art of miming when I was a freshman. When I say miming, you might imagine a person with white face pretending to be trapped in an invisible box on the street. That is not incorrect. Yes, we do wear white makeup. And, we do sometimes want to show off our skills by pretending to be trapped in an invisible box. But, the miming I encountered was much more than a mere trick, it was a form of powerful storytelling, without uttering a single word.

Mimes prepare intricate skits in which they tell stories with their bodies, their imagination is the only limit. With only body language and facial expression, mimes deliver subtle emotions that cannot be described with words. The movements and illusions mimes create are not a show of skill, but the art through which they tell a story. The storytelling aspect was what attracted me to miming, and I’m happy to announce that I am still in touch with that creative world inside of me through various outlets.

Throughout my entire undergraduate experience, I participated in the mime troupe at Tufts. Performing in front of audiences gave me a tremendous amount of confidence in my ability to express myself. I am extremely grateful for the growth I was able to experience. This led me to make a video about my miming experience in substitution to one of the application essays to Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine (you can watch the video here).

Even after I had graduated from Tufts undergrad, I refused to cut my ties with this incredible art. For the past two years, I have been able to invite my mime troupe from undergrad to visit the Grafton campus and perform for the Cummings community. Furthermore, these performances have inspired some of my fellow veterinary classmates to join me in preparing multiple mime skits for the annual talent show. I have also given solo performances when invited to perform.

This art of silent storytelling has shaped a considerable amount of my life and helped me grow so far. I love talking about it, and would like to spread my love of miming by continuing to invite mimes over to Grafton, and to perform original skits with my fellow classmates in years to come!

Share

Recommended Posts